Welcome to the Visiting Student program at Western University.
Visiting Undergraduate Students can be divided into TWO categories:
- Visiting undergraduate students who are admitted to Western to take courses for transfer to a degree program at another University;
- Visiting undergraduate students who are at Western on a ‘Research ONLY’ basis.
If you have questions about your admissibility for either status or any other questions about the Visiting Student programs, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone at 519-661-2100 before you submit an application.
1. Visiting Undergraduate Students (studying at Western)
Visiting Undergraduate Students are Western students for the duration of the session in which they are registered. As a Visiting Student, you have full access to all USC student services and all Western resources and facilities, including the libraries, athletic facilities and health services.
Visiting Undergraduate Students must be in good standing at their home university. They may not be on probation, suspended or expelled. Transcripts and TOEFL results are not normally required; however, you may be required to present a transcript to an academic department to verify your prerequisite course background.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Preparation: Read all of the application instructions, including all of the identified links. For more information on all of the topics, also explore this website for current student information.
- Course Selection: Use the Timetables and the Academic Calendar to identify the courses that interest you and check to make sure you have the appropriate academic background (i.e. course background equivalent to the listed prerequisites).
- Approval: Have your home university approve the courses and forward a valid Letter of Permission (LOP), a Visiting Student Application Form (pdf), and proof of citizenship (photocopy of a birth certificate or passport) to:
Letters of Permission,
Room 2140 Western Student Services Building
University of Western Ontario
Your home school should have a template for a Letter of Permission available. If not, we require a signed authorization form, with a seal, from your Academic Advisor or Dean/Principal's Office, outlining which course(s) specifically you have been authorized to take here at Western. It is important to note that enrolment will only be allowed for the SPECIFIC courses listed on your authorization, so it is best to list enough courses that allow you a range of choice, in case some of your selected courses fill up (ie. if you intend on taking 3 classes, perhaps list 5 or 6 to choose from).
- Admission: Once we receive both your application and your LOP, your admission will be processed. It usually takes two weeks to process an application.
Note: We are unable to guarantee that all Visiting Students will be successful in their selection of courses. This is why we suggest that you include additional courses on your Letter Of Permission to provide for some flexibility. Once admitted, you will be responsible for enrolling in courses, verifying your prerequisites with the academic department, and paying your fees.
- Enrollment: You will be required to enrol in your course(s) through Student Center.
Note: Many courses require specific prerequisites that will be checked by the academic department that offers your course (s). You should be prepared to show your academic transcript at the department.
- Payment: Pay your fees using online banking, or at Student Central, Room 1120 Western Student Services Building.
- Cancelling courses and tuition refunds: Read the fees schedule carefully, especially the refund section. The refund policies and deadlines may be different from those at your home university. The last day for withdrawing from a course without academic penalty (a failing grade) is much later than the deadline for withdrawing and receiving a tuition refund. Students are charged for all courses in which they enrol whether or not they attend class.
Once you have completed your course(s), you need to have an official transcript sent to your home university.
2. Visiting Undergraduate Students (Research ONLY)
Visiting Undergraduate Students (Research Only) will not enroll in courses and will only be engaging in research.
Visiting Undergraduate Students (Research only) are allowed to conduct research at Western University but do not fall under an approved exchange program. Students are registered as Full-Time Visiting Undergraduate Students on the condition that they cannot take courses at Western. If a Western transcript is requested, an Undergraduate Research indicator will be evident. International students who are Visiting Undergraduate Student (Research Only) students pay UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) fees and a student card fee but no tuition. Based on the request to enroll as a Visiting Undergraduate (Research Only) student at The University of Western Ontario, individuals assume the responsibility to adhere to The University of Western Ontario’s Code of Student Conduct found at http://www.uwo.ca/univsec/board/code.pdf
To apply, follow these steps:
1. Preparation and Submission: Read all of the application instructions available on the Visiting Undergraduate (Research Only) Plan and complete the appropriate information. Application forms should only be submitted with all of the necessary supporting documentation included.
- Departments are advised to use the following template letter of approval/invitation for submission with the application form
2. Payment: The registration fee (specified on the application form found in Step 1 above) will be billed to the student’s account. Cheques and money orders should be made payable to The University of Western Ontario.
3. Application: Completed forms must be sent to:
Room 1120 Western Student Services Building
For any other questions, please contact Student Central at 519-661-2100 or email@example.com
4. Letter of Acceptance: A Letter of Acceptance will be issued as soon as the application package has been processed.
5. Study Permit Application: After receiving the Letter of Acceptance, the Visiting Undergraduate Student (Research Only) must apply for a Study Permit, following the procedures described in Western University’s Application Guidelines.