Welcome to the Visiting Student program at The University of Western Ontario. Visiting Students are students who are admitted to Western to take courses for transfer to a degree program at another University. If you have questions about your admissibility or any other questions about the Visiting Student program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone at 519- 661-2100 before you submit an application.
Visiting Students are Western students for the duration of the session in which they are registered. As a Visiting Student, you have full access to all USC student services, resources and facilities, including the libraries, athletic facilities and health services.
Visiting Students must be in good standing at their home university. They may not be on probation, suspended or expelled. Transcripts and TOEFL results are not normally required; however, you may be required to present a transcript to an academic department to verify your prerequisite course background.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Preparation: Read all of the application instructions, including all of the identified links. For more information on all of the topics, also explore this website for current student information.
- Course Selection: Use the Timetables and the Academic Calendar to identify the courses that interest you and check to make sure you have the appropriate academic background (i.e. course background equivalent to the listed prerequisites).
- Approval: Have your home university approve the courses and forward a valid Letter of Permission (LOP), a Visiting Student Application Form (pdf), and proof of citizenship (photocopy of a birth certificate or passport) to:
Letters of Permission,
Room 2140 Western Student Services Building
University of Western Ontario
Your home school should have a template for a Letter of Permission available. If not, we require a signed authorization form, with a seal, from your Academic Advisor or Dean/Principal's Office, outlining which course(s) specifically you have been authorized to take here at Western. It is important to note that enrolment will only be allowed for the SPECIFIC courses listed on your authorization, so it is best to list enough courses that allow you a range of choice, in case some fill up (ie. if you intend on taking 3 classes, perhaps list 5 or 6 to choose from).
- Admission: Once we receive both your application and your LOP, your admission will be processed. It usually takes two weeks to process an application.
Note: We are unable to guarantee that all Visiting Students will be successful in their selection of courses. This is why we suggest that you include additional courses on your Letter Of Permission to provide for some flexibility. Once admitted, you will be responsible for enrolling in courses, verifying your prerequisites with the academic department, and paying your fees.
- Enrollment: You will be required to enrol in your course(s) through Student Center.
Note: Many courses require specific prerequisites that will be checked by the academic department that offers your course (s). You should be prepared to show your academic transcript at the department.
- Payment: Pay your fees using online banking, at a branch with your fees invoice, or at Student Central, Room 1120 Western Student Services Building. You can also defer your fees at the same location if you have applied for a government loan.
- Cancelling courses and tuition refunds: Read the fees schedule carefully, especially the refund section. The refund policies and deadlines may be different from those at your home university. The last day for withdrawing from a course without academic penalty (a failing grade) is much later than the deadline for withdrawing and receiving a tuition refund. Students are charged for all courses in which they enrol whether or not they attend class.
Once you have completed your course(s), you need to have an official transcript sent to your home university.
For any other questions, please contact Student Central at 519-661-2100 or email@example.com