30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant
30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant (OTG)
Already Applied for OSAP?
You don’t need to do anything. Once you’ve applied for OSAP, you’re automatically considered for the 30% Off Ontario Tuition grant. If you don’t qualify for OSAP you could still be eligible for the 30% Off Ontario Tuition grant.
Eligible students who did not apply for full-time OSAP can apply using an online 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant application.
Amount of Aid
The maximum amount of grant is $950 per term if you are in a degree program at a public college, university or private postsecondary school in Ontario that is approved for OSAP purposes. You can receive an annual maximum of $1,900. The maximum amount of grant is $435 per term if you are in a certificate or diploma program at a public college or private postsecondary school in Ontario that is approved for OSAP purposes. You can receive an annual maximum of $870.
To be eligible to apply for OTG, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
Citizenship Status (one of the following)
- Canadian Citizen
- Permanent Resident
- Protected Person (Protected Person Status Document is required)
- You're an Ontario resident;
- It's been less than four years since you left high school, or
- less than six years if you have a permanent disability; or
- more than 4 years but less than 5 years if you are enrolled in the 4th or 5th year of a cooperative education (“co-op”) program (i.e., a co-op program that contains no less than eight academic study terms and one or more required work terms, which combined are more than 48 months in length).
- Your parents' gross income is $160,000 or less;
- You're a full-time undergraduate student at a public university, college or private postsecondary school in Ontario that is approved for OSAP purposes;
- You're in a program that you can apply to directly from high school; and,
- You're not restricted from receiving an Ontario Student Loan (e.g., you're not in default or have an academic restriction).
Required Course Load and Status
- Be fully-registered student in at least 60% of a full-time course load per term (the equivalent of at least three half courses per term)
- Students with permanent disabilities are eligible by enrolling in at least 40% of a full-time course load per term (the equivalent of at least two half courses per term)
Apply for OTG at OSAP OTG Web Site as soon as the application becomes available. It generally takes 6-8 weeks for OTG applications to be completed by Western’s Financial Aid Office.
Students who want to use OTG as a payment towards tuition and/or receive funding at the start of their study period should apply by June 30.
OTG application is academic year specific (i.e. 2016-2017). Every spring a new OTG application is released for the upcoming academic year (i.e. 2017-2018). Students are required to apply annually to continue their funding.
Your application must be received by your financial aid office no later than 60 days before the end of your study period.
All required documents must be received by your financial aid office no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.
Any review request must be received no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.
Note: Documents received after your deadline date will not be considered.
The OTG Process
Complete all the application steps below to ensure that your funding is available at the start of the term.1. The 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant Program (OTG) Application
- The 2016-2017 OTG application can be found online at OSAP website.
- Consent to Release Personal Information: Remember to complete this section of the student profile if a parent/friend will be contacting the student Financial Aid Office at Western on your behalf. The consent to release section can be modified in real time.
- OTG Funds: deposited directly into your bank account or a cheque will be mailed to the address you gave in the application. It is the student's responsibility to make fee payments to Western University as per the published deadline dates.
- Apply for OTG by June 30th if you want to have your funds in your personal bank account at the beginning of the study period.
- Closing an OTG application: Students can close an application on the OSAP website.
- 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant: The Ontario Tuition Grant is integrated into the OSAP application. Students can apply for the OTG only through the OSAP website.
- Submit your parent(s) signature pages (if required) and any required supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Office, Western Student Services Building, Room 1100, Western University. The Financial Aid Office address is on the signature and consent declaration in the top right corner.
- Photocopies of original documents are accepted. Ensure all documentation has your full name and student ID number on it.
- Submit all documentation ASAP as it takes 6-8 weeks for processing. Recommended due date: June 30th.
- Applying through the 30% Off Ontario Tuition standalone application and have previous loans? Complete a Continuation of Interest Free Status at the beginning of your study period if you have previously received provincial government funding.
- Your parent(s) income must either be verified with Canada Revenue Agency or documentation about their total gross income must be provided and approved.
- The Financial Aid Office must confirm your full-time enrolment before your funding can be released. Confirmation happens for each disbursement.
- OTG: Check OTG funding entitlement by logging into your OTG Account.
- Bank Account: At the beginning of the term, confirm that OTG funding has been deposited to your personal bank account or a cheque has been mailed to the address indicated on your application. Funds are usually deposited at the beginning of the study period if the application process is completed by the appropriate due dates.
- Western Student Account: Review your Student Account Statement on Student Center for any balance owing (a few times in September and regularly throughout the year).
- Do you need to report a change in course load, program of study, income, marital or citizenship status? Complete the OSAP Change Form to submit changes for Fall/Winter terms and Summer OSAP Change Form for summer term and submit it to your Financial Aid Office.
- Do you need financial aid counselling? Follow this link: Book an appointment. ID is required.
The Financial Aid Office will begin to confirm enrolment for the fall term in late August. The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development will begin to disburse funding at the beginning of the study period to students whose confirmation of enrolment has been completed by the school. The Financial Aid Office will send out an OTG Confirmation of Enrolment Message to the Western email account to let students know their confirmation of enrolment is completed.