Important Changes to Tax Information

Important Changes to Tax Information

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has made a change to its tax form requirements and educational institutions are required to request the Social Insurance Number of students. The SIN number will be used for the tuition tax credit form (T2202) issued to all students who pay tuition and, if applicable, the T4A form for students receiving scholarships and bursaries.

Your SIN must be updated no later than December 31 so that we can process your tax forms appropriately. After this date, we will charge a $27.50 service fee if you request an update of your form to include your SIN. If you are an International student who does not have a SIN, please disregard.

How do I update my SIN?

You can enter your SIN number through your secure Student Center profile, by following these steps:

- Login to the Student Center with your Western user ID and password.
- Under Personal Information, select Demographic Data.
- Under National Identification Number, choose Edit.

If you already have a SIN on file, you will not be able to see the section for National Identification Number and no further action is required.