Important Tax Information

Important Tax Information

Western sent an email Thursday November 4, 2021 to all students who did not have a SIN number on their Student Center. This email was sent from Student Financial Services ( to your Western email (

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has made a change to its tax form requirements and educational institutions are required to request the Social Insurance Number (SIN) of students. The SIN will be used for the tuition tax credit form (T2202) issued to all students and, if applicable, the T4A form for students receiving scholarships, awards and bursaries.

Your SIN must be updated no later than December 31, 2021 so that we can process your tax forms appropriately. After this date, a $27.50 service fee will apply if you request an update of your form to include your SIN. If you are an International student who does not have a SIN, you do not need to have a SIN or file Canadian taxes.

How do I update my SIN?

You can enter your SIN number through your secure Student Center profile, by following these steps:

  • Login to the Student Center with your Western user ID and password.
  • Under Personal Information, select Demographic Data.
  • Under National Identification Number, choose Edit.


If you already have a SIN on file, you will not be able to see the section for National Identification Number and no further action is required.

Tax forms for 2021 will be available on your Student Center by February 28, 2022.

Click here to see a copy of the email