Letter of Permission

PLEASE NOTE: At this time, the processing time for Letter of Permission requests may be delayed.

Students in degree programs at Western University may take courses at other accredited universities for transfer credits provided the Faculty in which they are currently registered approves such courses in advance. The approval is subject to individual Faculty/Department regulations and is granted in the form of a Letter of Permission (issued by the Office of the Registrar).

To obtain a Letter of Permission, please apply at your faculty counselling office as early as possible and at least one month prior to the commencement of classes at the other institution. Letters of Permission may take up to 3 weeks to process from the time they are received at the Office of the Registrar (signed and approved by both Department and Faculty) and the three week timeframe will be enforced during the peak period of March 15th until August 31st. The application form for a Letter of Permission is available at your Academic Counselling Office. Fall/Winter Letter of Permission forms will not be processed before May 15th unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Completing Studies at another Institution

To complete a Letter of Permission:

  1. Before completing your Letter of Permission form, research the application processes and deadlines at the institution where you intend to study.
  2. Submit application to your Academic Counselling Office with a photocopy of the course descriptions from the Academic Calendar of the host institution. Your application must be approved by your department and your faculty.

  3. The courses will only be approved if:
    • The course is relevant to your degree program;
    • The course is approved for a Western equivalent;
    • Applicant may only take a maximum of 5.0 credits on a Letter of Permission or Exchange towards a Western degree.

Letter of Permission Fee:

Each applicant will be charged a non-refundable Letter of Permission application fee (see Suplementary Fees and Other Charges under the appropriate Academic Year's Tuition tab on the Fee & Refund Schedules page. The fee will be added to your tuition account once billing begins for your Letter of Permission term, therefore, you may notice a delay between the processing of your Letter of Permission and the fee being applied to your account. Please check your Detailed Statement of Account (available at student.uwo.ca) regularly and pay your fee by the due date listed.  For fee payment information, please see Fees & Refunds.  It is the students' responsibility to ensure that all fees are paid.  Students who do not pay the fee by the due date listed will be subject to financial and academic penalties.

How to Cancel your Letter of Permission:

You must submit written verification from the host institution if you do not register in or withdraw from all approved LOP courses. If written documentation is not received from the host institution a failing grade (F) will be assigned. The written verification must come directly from the institution addressed to the Letter of Permission area by email: contact@uwo.ca. Or by mail:

Attn: Letter of Permission, Student Records
Western University
Western Student Services Bldg. Rm 2140
London, ON
N6A 3K7

When you have completed your Letter of Permission Courses:

It is your responsibility to have an official transcript sent DIRECTLY from the host institution to the Letter of Permission Area (see address above). It must come in a sealed envelope – any opened envelopes WILL NOT be accepted. A student’s grade report is not acceptable. Please allow for 4 weeks processing time to have grades transferred to your record when submitting transcripts.

To verify that your Letter of Permission grade has been added to your Western Academic Record visit your Student Center and go to Academics > Permissions & Transfer Credit.

Please ensure your Letter of Permission grade is displaying on this record before ordering your Western transcript.

Grades assigned for courses taken on a letter of permission at another institution follow the grading scale of The University of Western Ontario. The Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS) Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table is used as a reference when grades are assigned. Please visit the OMSAS Website. When converting a letter grade to a percentage, the mid-point of the numerical range will be used. Western will assign grades for students who are not studying in a Canadian institution based on curriculum, grading practices, and grading scale interpretation.

Due to the impact of the current situation with COVID-19, we have instituted two options for you to submit your transcripts for your Letter of Permission.

Option 1 - If the host institution supports electronic transcripts, have them send your transcript directly to contact@uwo.ca. We will only accept e-transcripts from the host institution.

Option 2 - If the host institution does not support electronic transcripts:
  1. Scan and email to contact@uwo.ca the front and back of your official transcript; and
  2. Have an official transcript sent DIRECTLY from the host institution. We will then use the paper document to confirm your grade(s). If we do not receive your official transcript by September 1, 2022, your record may be sealed which will result in you not being able to access services such as getting a transcript or official letter and registering in courses.

Graduating Students: Deadline for Transcript Submission

Students completing their last credits for their degree on LOP must have their official transcript from the host institution sent to the Office of the Registrar by the following dates:
Spring Convocation: May 15th
Fall Convocation: October 1st
February In Absentia Convocation: February 1st

 If a transcript is not received by November 1st, a grade of “F” will be recorded.