Visiting Undergraduate Students

Visiting Undergraduate Students

Western welcomes Visiting Undergraduate Students from other post-secondary institutions to study in one of two ways:

  • With approval from your home University or College to take courses for transfer to your undergraduate degree program;
  • With approval to study on a ‘Research ONLY’ basis.

If you have questions or would like more information on Visiting Undergraduate programs, email or contact us on Western Chat before you submit an application.

Visiting Students on Letter of Permission

As a Visiting Undergraduate Student, you have full access to all University Student Council services and Western resources/facilities for the duration of the Session in which you are registered. This includes libraries, athletic facilities and health services.

Note: Western has two Terms: Fall/Winter and Summer. A separate Letter of Permission and Visiting Student Application Form are required for each term in which an applicant wishes to study.

Visiting Undergraduate Students must be in good standing at their home university. They may not be on probation, suspended or expelled. Transcripts and TOEFL results are not normally required, however, you may be required to present a transcript to an academic department to verify your prerequisite course background.

In addition to your course tuition fees, there is an administrative fee; see your Detailed Statement of Account on Student Center (see Supplemental Fees and Other Charges on the Fee and Refund Schedules page). This is a non-refundable administrative fee to process your Visiting Student Application and is payable along with your tuition.

Note regarding course cancellation and tuition refunds: Refer to the appropriate Refund Schedule on the Fees and Refund Schedules page for financial implications of dropping a course past the first day of the Term. The last day to withdraw from a course without academic penalty is much later than the deadline to withdraw and receive a tuition refund. Students are charged for all courses in which they enroll whether or not they attend class.

How to Apply:

Step 1: Course Selection
Refer to the appropriate Academic Timetable for a list of courses offered as well as the Western Academic Calendar for other course information. Be mindful of course requisite information to confirm you have the appropriate academic background (e.g. course background equivalent to the listed prerequisites).

Step 2: Approval from your Home University/College
The Letter of Permission must contain the following:
  • Must be on your home university’s official letterhead, and have an authorized signature;
  • List the approved Western courses and course codes;
    Note: we recommend listing additional courses in case some of your selections fill up
  • Indicate the academic term you have been approved to study at Western.

Step 3: Submit the required documents to Western
  • Letter of Permission from your home university
  • Visiting Student Application Form
  • Proof of citizenship (photocopy of birth certificate or passport)
Send the documents by email: or by fax: 519-850-2397 or by mail:

Student Records
Western University
Room 2140, Western Student Services Bldg.
London, ON
N6A 3K7

What Happens After You Have Applied:

Once we receive all of the required documents above, your request will be processed. Within two weeks, you will receive your Western student number and further instructions by email.


Step 4: Enroll in Courses
You will be required to enroll in your course(s) through Student Center. See Register in Courses for information.

Once you have completed your course(s), you will need to have an official transcript sent to your home university.

Visiting Undergraduate Students on Exchange

See Incoming Exchange Students, Western International for more information.

Visiting Undergraduate Students (Research ONLY)

Visiting Undergraduate Students (Research Only) are allowed to conduct research only at Western University. Students are registered as Full-Time students on the condition they do not enroll in any courses at Western.

Explore research areas at Western and contact the academic department or faculty member with which you are interested in conducting research.

Students will be charged a processing fee and a fee for a Western Student ID card. International students will also be charged with the University Health Insurance Plan.

How to Apply:

Domestic Students:
  • Download and complete the Visiting Undergraduate Student (Research Only) Plan for Canadian and Permanent Resident Students form. Note the instructions on the first page which outline the responsibilities of the student, home University and Western Host Program.

International Students:
International students should visit Visiting Research Only (VRO) Students, Western International for more information.

Faculty members at Western University who are interested in inviting an international visiting research student to Western should also visit Visiting Research Only (VRO) Students, Western International for more information. If you have questions about Visiting Research Only students, please contact

If you are interested in visiting Western or have been invited to conduct research at Western as a post-doctoral fellow, please contact the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.