Updating Your SIN

Updating Your SIN

Office of the Registrar sent out an email to students on November 15, 2023 with information about adding their SIN to their Student Center. 

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires educational institutions to request the Social Insurance Number (SIN) of students. The SIN will be used for the tuition tax credit form (T2202) issued to all students and, if applicable, the T4A form for students receiving scholarships, awards and bursaries.

Your SIN must be updated no later than December 31, 2023 so that we can process your tax forms appropriately. After this date, a $30.00 service fee will apply if you request an update of your form to include your SIN.

If you are an International student who does not have a SIN, please disregard this email.

How do I update my SIN?

To update your SIN through your secure Student Center profile, follow these steps:

  • Log in to Student Center with your Western user ID and password.
  • Click Profile and then Personal Details.
  • Under National Identification Number, choose Add National ID.
  • Add your SIN in the National ID field, and click Save.


Please do not send your SIN via email.

If you have any questions regarding this email, please contact regtax@uwo.ca.

If you already have a SIN on file, no further action is required.